Friday, March 6, 2015

His story my perspective part one

Back in 2001 my older brother Father Joseph came home for Thanksgiving vacation. We were all impressed at his stature. He looked as if he had lost some weight in a healthy way. When asked what he was doing he commented "I just am not as hungry for a whole meal anymore or to eat seconds".  moving forward a few months I was finishing work on Valentine's day when I was told I had a call on line one. Picking up the phone I heard my brother say "I've just been diagnosed with chronic myelogenous leukemia. How do I tell mom and dad?"  I learned some about this in medical school but since I work with children I don't see these cases.I asked him what his symptoms were he said extreme fatigue and looking back he said he remembered he couldn't keep up with the drill runs while he was on a military week in August in Quantico. That wasn't like him for you see he was trained to be on the Navy search and rescue team and had gone through rigorous training for that.I told him we will just take it one day at a time. I did some research and saw that Gleevec was available instead of the harsh medication of an interferon. there were several stories out there of success. This was good however his doctors told him with his type he would eventually need a bone marrow transplant to be fully treated for his luekemia. In the meantime he finished up seminary and was ordained a priest for the Archdiocese of Atlanta in June of 2002.The first parish he started in was Saint Catherine of Sienna. Sometimes people offer up their suffering for certain groups or certain individuals. Father Joseph decided to offer up his suffering throughout all of this for the priest of the Archdiocese of Atlanta.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for all you are doing to share updates. Is there an address I can send a snail mail letter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can send it to 6650 Bentley Trail
      Cumming, GA 30040 and I will get it to him.

      Delete
  2. 2443 Mt Vernon Rd, Dunwoody, GA 30338
    Snail mail can be sent to the above address

    ReplyDelete